The general rule of thumb is that Heat is for muscles, Ice is for injuries
Heres a few directions on using a COLD PACK
• Store the cold pack in the freezer compartment
• Wrap the cold pack in a light pillow case before applying to the skin
• Lie on your back or in a reclined position when applying the cold pack
• For the upper and lower back areas - support your knees with a pillow and lie directly onto the covered cold pack
• For the neck area - compress the covered cold pack to the skin with the use of a pillow under the neck and head
• For hips, knees and ankles - position yourself with use of pillows to compress the affected part of the limb against the cold pack
• After a few minutes of application of the cold pack you may feel a slight stinging sensation. This is normal and indicates that the painful area is inflamed.
• If the stinging sensation is too uncomfortable please remove the cold pack for a few minutes to ease the area before reapplying.
• Apply the cold pack for 10 minutes in total at one session and reapply 4 hourly until symptoms have subsided
• Repeat this procedure for 3 days prior to attending your Clinic Chiropractor for spinal and/or pelvic joint/muscle balance and realignment which may also include Chiropractic adjustments of the affected joints
Please do contact your Chiropractor via our receptionist if you have any queries
Back to Blog List